Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Mystery Fragrance #2 - Island Joe

Hi there!

I'm on to my second mystery fragrance. In my last blogpost I talked about the Brambleberry Winter SOAP panel, and the first fragrance, which I named "Berry Happy". Now, on to the second one which I'm calling "Island Joe". 

When I first smelled Island Joe, I immediately thought COFFEE and it brought a huge smile to my face. I'm a big fan of BB's Turkish Mocha fragrance oil, and even participated in the swap last year with that as my choice to share with twelve others. But, I digress.  This mysterious fragrance brought to mind a bar of soap with fresh coffee grounds layered with deep rich mocha mica and a creamy swirl to top off the day. 





I used the same recipe for every soap, but the first four soaps (I only have four, one pound molds) I used sodium lactate. I didn't need to, with such hard oils in my recipe and a steep water discount. So for the final four, it was left out. 


Recipe:
72 oz oils (18x4 mater batched)
24 Sunflower Oil
24 Coconut Oil
24 Tallow
21 oz. Distilled Water
10.5 oz. Sodium Hydroxide


The soap worked well for layers. I only had to wait a couple of minutes to spoon on the second layer gently and it held pretty good. By the time I got to the remnant batter to be put in my round mold it was pretty thick, as you can see by the picture. 


I really like this fragrance. After cut, cure, etc. The smell has faded to more of a coconut scent. I'm very curious to find out just what these really are. This just might be something entirely different. But the beauty of doing this challenge, is that there are no absolutes. Just to absolutely have fun and run with it. 


And the final outcome...

#2 Island Joe

Stay tuned for my next reveal... #3 KaPOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment